When you're on vacation, the last thing you want to be thinking about is a possible break-in or burglary at home. To keep your trip worry-free, there are precautions you can take before heading out to ensure your home is safe and secure while you are gone. Here are some quick tips to help avoid a break-in and secure your home and possessions from possible theft.
Top Tips for Securing Your Home While on Vacation
- Make a Security "To Do" List: Taking the time to create a security "to do" list will help you to remember what essential security precautions and preparations must be performed prior to leaving for your trip. The list should include simple reminders such as locking the doors and windows, setting the alarm, and locking away valuables in your safe.
- Automate Appliances: Making it look like there are people in the home can help to deter burglars. One way to create the illusion that someone is home is to automate lights to turn on and off inside and outside your home such as lamps by windows and floodlights above driveways.
- Put Deliveries on Hold: If a potential thief is scoping out your home, he or she will take note if mail is not taken from your mailbox or if newspapers are piling up outside. Before your trip, call your local post office and newspaper delivery service to put all deliveries on hold until your return date.
- Have a Friend Stay: If possible, have a friend or family member house- sit. Burglaries are less likely to occur if a potential thief knows there is someone in the home.
- Lock your valuables in a Home Safe: Most thieves will take what they can easily and quickly carry out. By having your valuables locked in a fire and burglary safe, you can relax on your vacation knowing that your most valuable items are safely locked away.
- Maintain Regular Upkeep: Any services that are preformed regularly, such as landscaping or pool maintenance, should continue while you are away. In addition, have a neighbor or friend regularly take out your trash cans each week. If a potential thief sees regular upkeep and maintenance schedules are still being preformed on the house they will be less likely to strike while you're away.
For more information on how to keep your home and belongings safe, please contact the experts with Precision Safe & Lock, Inc. We are a Liberty Safe Dealer, and offer sales, service, professional installation by a safe technician. Serving the Central Florida Area including Auburndale, Lakeland, Bartow, Winter Haven, Haines City, Lake Alfred, Kissimmee, Sebring, Avon Park.